Monday, April 28, 2014

The Call

All the moments of the last month have led up to waiting for the phone to ring, and today it rings. It’s a placement for two girls ages 2 ½ and 3 ½. I fumble through my purse to get the form that has the questions I have prepared for this call. Honestly most of the questions are left unanswered in since this is their first placement. It doesn’t matter much anyways, they need me. I call my husband and pass the little bit of information I was given and we say yes.

I call the caseworker back to let her know that we will accept the placement but she says that there is an issue that she needs to work out first. We have completed all of the necessary things to get our license, however the licensing committee does not meet again until May 7th to approve it. We are not yet licensed and technically cannot accept a placement. She told us not to worry because her supervisor mentioned us as a possibility for the girls knowing this was the case. The supervisor decides to send out our home-study to the appropriate people and they should have signatures tomorrow so we can receive our license a week early. We will be able to pick up the girls as soon as we have all of the appropriate signatures.

So that gives me a night to wrap my head around the changes that are coming to our family. Also, the case worker told us that we can go see the girls tonight and that makes me really happy. I think it will be a lot easier on them to meet us first before moving in. While I cannot give any details for their privacy I will say that there are no major issues of concern for me at this time other than their limited ability to speak English. I took several years of Spanish in school as well as lived in southern California so hopefully we will be able to meet in the middle somewhere.


Needless to say I am very excited, and scared, and a hundred other emotions all at once.

1 comment: